This story has been updated.
Prince Andrew has agreed to settle a Manhattan sexual abuse lawsuit from Jeffrey Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre for an undisclosed amount, according to a court filing Tuesday by attorney David Boies.
Boies said in the filing that Prince Andrew and his client had reached a settlement in principle, and expected to file a stipulation of dismissal within 30 days.
According to a statement submitted along with the filing, Prince Andrew intended to make a “substantial donation to Ms. Giuffre’s charity in support of victims’ rights.” The other terms of the settlement were not announced.
“Prince Andrew has never intended to malign Ms. Giuffre’s character, and he accepts that she has suffered both as an established victim of abuse and as a result of unfair public attacks,” the statement said.
Prince Andrew, who has denied Giuffre’s allegations, had also repeatedly accused her of lying about the alleged abuse.
U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan of the Southern District of New York entered an order Tuesday afternoon suspending all deadlines in the case until March 17.
“In the event the stipulation of dismissal is not filed by then, it remains entirely possible that this action will be set for trial when previously indicated,” in late 2022, Kaplan said.
The agreement comes one month after a Manhattan federal judge ruled that Prince Andrew was not protected by a 2009 settlement between Epstein and Guiffre, which purported to include a “broad” release against “other potential defendants” related to the deceased financier.
That ruling denied the the royal’s motion to dismiss Guiffre’s lawsuit and allowed Guiffre to proceed with claims that Prince Andrew had abused her at Epstein’s invitation in New York and London. The following day, Buckingham Palace announced that Prince Andrew had been stripped of his royal titles.
Epstein died by suicide in a Manhattan jail cell while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges in 2019. His longtime companion and accused accomplice, Ghislaine Maxwell, has since been convicted for her role in recruiting young girls for abuse by Epstein.
In the statement Tuesday, an attorney for Prince Andrew said that he “regrets his association with Epstein, and commends the bravery of Ms. Giuffre and other survivors in standing up for themselves and others.”
“He pledges to demonstrate his regret for his association with Epstein by supporting the fight against the evils of sex trafficking, and by supporting its victims,” it read.
Boies, in a brief statement Tuesday afternoon, said, “I believe this event speaks for itself.”
Prince Andrew was represented in the case by attorney Andrew Brettler of Lavely & Singer in California. Brettler did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.